Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A City for All Seasons

Have you heard about that ridiculous blizzard that is currently hitting the Northeast? Well, if you haven't, let's just say that New York City is pretty much in the midst of it. Is there a reason for that, though?

New York City is prone to this sort of stuff because of precipitation. The precipitation is generated mostly by storm systems for the majority of the states east of the Rockies and the two air masses going N/NE from the Gulf of Mexico and S/SE from Canada, and its closeness to the Atlantic Ocean is certainly reason to cough up storms here and there. It also has a latitude of 40.78 degrees, which is enough above the equator for NYC to have differing shifts in weather during the year. Might I say that NYC actually has seasons compared to Los Angeles where I live?

While a blizzard is not unusual, to have it hit as hard as it currently is is rather interesting to note. According to a climate study done by Cornell University, the annual snowfall in NYC is usually about 22.3'', and it managed to snow nearly as much in a single day during my week there in 2010. I know I would be covering myself up and staying indoors if that ever occurred here in L.A., but I have a feeling nothing like that will ever happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment